Thursday, June 11, 2009

Rooibos Vanilla Chai

Tea: Rooibos Vanilla Chai
Vendor: Adagio Teas
Price: $7/4oz
Vendor Description: Masala chai spices in a South African red rooibos base with a hint of vanilla. These spices will dance on your palate while the creamy vanilla rooibos will sing to your soul. Naturally caffeine free for an anytime treat.

Leaf: The leaf for this chai consists of some dried fruit pieces, ginger, cloves, and rooibos of course. There is a very sweet and bold aroma and a definite vanilla feel to the aroma. There is a rather high other to rooibos ratio in this chai mix.

1st Infusion Parameters: 5g, 5oz, 185F, 7 min

1st Infusion: This tea has a light murky color to it. It has a sweet vanilla aroma. The flavor is strong and lightly bitter. The clove portion of the flavor is quite prominent, a bit too prominent in my opinion.

Rating: 3/10

Conclusion: The cloves somewhat did this tea in. The flavor was too rich and drowned out the rest of the flavors in this tea. To an extent it felt like I was drinking a mainly clove infusion. This reminded me of the Coco Chai from Mighty Leaf, but instead of the sweetness from the coconut there was a lot of clove flavor here. I prefered the round sweetness of the coconut, but if you prefer a stronger, sharper, and stiffer chai, this is probably a good choice for you.

2 comments:

LoveDrinkingTea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LoveDrinkingTea said...

I have spend many a time reading your blog post, I love anything tea related and am always looking forward to your next article, I am myself a huge fan of Rooibos Loose Tea and have been for some time, I started drinking this type of tea because one it is caffeine free and for the well known health benefits which are associated to Rooibos Tea, I thought I would share with you a company I have been ordering tea from for it must be over 5 years now, The Kent and Sussex Tea and Coffee Company, they are a small family business with over 1000 different types of Loose Leaf Tea, here is their amazing selection of Rooibos Tea please keep up the good work.