Thursday, September 10, 2009

Tea's Flavor Spectrum

Recently thoughts of the difference in flavor between Tamaryokucha and Long Jing got me thinking. The flavor of tea is so wide and varied, how many teas would it take to give someone an overview of the different types and flavor styles of tea? Which ones would you suggest? So far I've come up with these:

Green: Sencha, Longjing
Red: Darjeeling, Assam, Ceylon, Yunnan
Black(Pu):
Blue(Oolong): Phoenix, Wu Yi, Taiwanese Green
Yellow: Not really needed
White: Silver Needle

So far I have 10, but I don't really know the realm of Pu well enough to say what would be needed to express that area. I'm guessing two though. Which puts my list around 12. I'm a bit hesitant of dedicating a third of that to red teas though.

What do you guys think? What is the essential must try teas to express the flavor spectrum of tea?

3 comments:

hon tea dao |Chinese tea secret said...

As the Yellow tea I suggest Huo Shan Huang Ya. it's rare and amazing. Jun Shan Yin Zhen is also a good choice.

Jason Witt said...

For Pu-erh you might go just with a raw selection and then a ripe one for the second. What's nice about Pu-erh is there is so much variation it almost matches all other kinds of tea. But the raw and ripe could be the two basic kinds. --Teaternity

SilverNeedles said...

got to include matcha :)
else:
bi luo chun
yunnan green
keemun is different too