Monday, March 10, 2008

Sencha

Tea: Sencha
Vendor: Imperial Tea Court
Price: $7 / 4oz.
Vendor Description:A unique and well-known style of green tea popularized in Japan. Sencha's deep green color and distinctively fresh, grassy flavor come from special steam processing during manufacture.

I was at first a bit leery of trying out a sencha from a primarily Chinese tea vendor. The Imperial Tea court had a very good reputation from what I had read and heard so I figured I would give them a shot. (I actually did pick up some Chinese teas as well, those will come later).

The sencha seemed to have a very front loaded taste, most of the flavor of the tea occurred right off the bat with little depth and aftertaste to the tea. While this is not necessarily a bad thing, it is simply different than the most of the longer deeper teas I have been having recently. The flavor was very short lived and brisk with a medium sense of bitterness. I would say that it is a very good starting point of sencha. It is simple inexpensive and a good representation of a sencha.

Rating: 8/10

Conclusion: While this tea is not the deep symphony that some other teas strive to be, it's low price and simple nature make it deserve a good rating. It is a simple sencha and indicative of the style of tea.

No comments: