Friday, April 25, 2008

Mate Green

Tea: Mate Green - 9011
Vendor: Lupicia USA
Price: $5.50 / 50g
Source: South America
Vendor Description: Non-fermented mate tea from S.America, (drinking vegetables) with leaves and sweetness like Japanese tea. Before pouring allow hot water to stand. Drink as iced tea to replenish vitamins and minerals.

Leaf: The leaf for this tisane is an assortment of small particles that looks like it belongs on a spice rack somewhere.

1st Infusion: The smell of this tisane reminds me of a pet food store or the spice rack at the grocery store. There was a very dark brown color to the liquor which was a very unappealing color. The tisane smelled very woody, and had a taste to match the aroma. It's flavor reminded me of the flavor you get when you gnaw on the end of a pair of disposable chopsticks. The flavor on some level vaguely reminded me of puerh, although with this it was a very short lived flavor.

Rating: 2/10

Conclusion: I did not particularly enjoy this tisane. I have heard of people enjoying it for caffeine content, but even for caffeine I would chose one of the other caffeine options.

No comments: